Wedding rings have long been a romantic gesture meant to signify the love and devotion of the union.
And the process of engraving something on them has existed for almost as long.
But engraving something on your wedding ring definitely feels like a permanent decision, so if you’re considering doing it, what exactly should you have written on it?
It’s important to put a lot of thought into this decision, especially because you’ll want to write something on your ring that means something special to you and your significant other.
In this article, you will find the ultimate list of ideas put into different categories for what you can engrave on your wedding ring, as well as how much engraving costs and where to do it.
Romantic Wedding Ring Engraving Ideas
This is definitely a good category to choose from, as you can never go wrong with a simple romantic statement.
- Wedding Vows – either something personal from them or common phrases like “till death do us part,” “to have and to hold,” “to love and to cherish,” or “for better or worse.”
- Always and forever
- Yours forever
- I love you
- I love you more
- With all my heart
- Love/light of my life
- My heart is yours/ you have my heart
- I choose you
- To my wife/husband
- Beloved wife/husband
- Perfect fit
- The beginning of forever
- All my love/ all my life
- True love
- One true love
- Written in the stars
- We are one
- Kindred spirit
- Twin flame
- Happily ever after
- Dream come true
- I do
- Adventure awaits
- Forever and forever (continued around the entire ring)
- Forever in my heart
- Grow old with me
- Other symbols like a heart, star, sun, moon, etc.
- Hugs and Kisses/ XOXO
- My best friend
- My beginning and end
- With all that I am
- You’re my favorite person
Funny & Humorous Wedding Ring Engraving Ideas
Make sure that whatever you put on the ring is funny for both of you, or at least that the other person is okay with it being your inscription.
- Can’t change your mind now!
- Do not remove
- Finders keepers
- Why is this off?
- Put me back on
- Insert finger here
- Happy wife, happy life
- Challenge accepted
- Property of (spouse’s name or initials)
- Going once, going twice, sold!
- I said it first/ I kissed you first
- You’re stuck with me
- Pinky swear
- So close…
- Two more wishes
- Partner in crime
- A deal’s a deal
- Not for pawning
- Legally mine
- No take-backs/ no refunds
- To be continued…
- Happy now?
- Alarm will sound if removed
- Don’t even think about it
- I regret nothing
- Better than bacon (or insert your choice here)
- I love you more than (insert your choice here)
- Hook, line, & sinker
- I love me
- Resistance is futile
- You just got Rick Rolled
- Deal with it
- The better half
- Good luck
- True story
Spiritual Wedding Ring Engraving Ideas
This focuses more on the eternal, spiritual aspect of love and marriage.
If the entire phrase or scripture verse won’t fit on the ring, something as simple as the scripture reference would make a good engraving in this category.
All phrases from the scriptures have been taken from the King James Version of the Bible.
- Love never fails (1 Corinthians 13)
- Love is faithful/ kind
- For eternity
- One life, one love
- God for me provided thee
- God gave me you
- Deus nos iunxit (in Latin means “God joined us”)
- Wither thou goest, I will go; And thy God, my God; Where thou diest, will I die. (Ruth 1:16-17)
- Mizpah (it means “watchtower” in Hebrew, and can also be loosely interpreted as “May God watch over you”
- If you want a more direct translation with the same sentiment as above: The Lord watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another (Genesis 31:49)
- For thy love is better than wine (Song of Solomon 1:2)
- My beloved is mine, and I am his (Song of Solomon 2:16)
- O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together (Psalm 34:3)
- Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let no man put asunder. (Matthew 19:6)
- And he is before all things, and by him all things consist (Colossians 1:17)
Poetical Wedding Ring Engraving Ideas
This list includes common and sweet lines about love from poetry and literature.
- I love you to the moon and back (Guess How Much I Love You – Sam McBratney)
- How do I love thee? Let me count the ways…I shall but love thee better after death (Sonnet 43 – William Shakespeare)
- And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare as any she belied with false compare (Sonnet 130 – William Shakespeare)
- Love me and leave me not (The Merchant of Venice – William Shakespeare)
- Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love (Hamlet – William Shakespeare)
- Let us go then, you and I (The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock – T.S. Eliot)
- If ever two were one, then surely we (To My Dear and Loving Husband – Anne Bradsheet)
- Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same (Wuthering Heights – Emily Brontë)
- Give all to love (Give All To Love – Ralph Waldo Emerson)
- My darling – my darling – my life and my bride (Annabel Lee – Edgar Allan Poe)
- My love is like a red, red rose (A Red, Red Rose – Robert Burns)
- Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning (Aleph – Paul Coelho)
- Who, being loved, is poor? (Oscar Wilde)
- You are my heart, my life, my one and only thought (The White Company – Arthur Conan Doyle)
- You are, and always have been, my dream (The Notebook – Nicholas Sparks)
- Look after my heart – I’ve left it with you (Eclipse – Stephanie Meyer)
- We love the things we love for what they are (Hyla Brook – Robert Frost)
- My heart is, and always will be, yours (Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen)
Different Languages Wedding Ring Engraving Ideas
These can be either romantic phrases in another language, or words from another language that have a wonderful way of describing love.
- Kismet – taken from Turkish, in the English language it means destiny or fate
- A Vila Mon Coeur, Gardi Li Mo – French for “Here is my heart, guard it well”
- Mon Amor – French for “My love”
- Amore Mio – Italian for “My love”
- Amor Vincit Omnia – Latin for “Love conquers all”
- Semper Fidelis – Latin for “Always faithful”
- Je T’aime – French for “I love you”
- Myn Genyst – German for “My heart”
- Media Naranja – A Spanish phrase that people use to describe their significant other that means “the other half of their orange.”
- Koi No Yokan – This Japanese phrase describes the sudden knowledge when you meet someone that the two of you are going to fall in love. You are destined to. It doesn’t mean love at first sight, but that love is inevitable, and the feeling that a deeper romantic connection is a possibility.
- Forelsket – A Norwegian word that symbolizes the euphoric feeling you get when you are falling in love with someone.
- Kilig – A word from Tagalog that describes the light feeling you have after something good happens, particularly when it comes to relationships and love. It could mean the first time you kiss someone, talking to your crush, or telling someone you love them for the first time and they say it back.
- Meraki – Greek for doing something with your heart, with creativity and love.
- Ya-aburnee – This is an Arabic phrase that translates into “you bury me.” It basically means that you hope you will outlive the person you love so you won’t have the pain of living without them.
- Yuanfen – similar to the Japanese phrase explained above, this is a Chinese word to describe a relationship that is believed to be brought about by fate or destiny. It’s the idea of bringing two people together who were predestined to meet.
- Kara Sevde – A Turkish phrase that translates to “black love.” It’s for when you feel an overwhelming, passionate love for another person.
Nickname Wedding Ring Engraving Ideas
Every couple loves to have their nicknames for the other person, so here are a few common, cute ones that might be special to you and your significant other.
It can be as crazy or as sweet as you want.
- My love/ my life
Inside Joke Wedding Ring Engraving Ideas
This is something more personal that will depend on the relationship, so think back on any words, jokes, or phrases that have special meaning to you and your spouse to see if there’s anything that sticks out—anything you think does a good job at defining your relationship.
Song Wedding Ring Engraving Ideas
This could be some sort of song that is a big part of your relationship, or maybe even the first song you danced to at your wedding.
- From his Moment On (Shania Twain)
- My Lucky Star (from Singin’ in the Rain – Debbie Reynolds and Gene Kelly)
- All Of Me (John Legend)
- You’ll Be in My Heart (Phil Collins)
- Put a Ring On It (Beyoncé)
- That’s Amore (Dean Martin)
- Love Me Tender (Elvis Presley)
- I Will Always Love You (Whitney Houston)
- Love Is the Answer (Jimmy Durante)
- A Thousand Years (Christina Perri)
- Better Together (Luke Combs)
- Can’t Help Falling in Love With You (Elvis Presley)
- How Sweet It Is to Be Loved by You (Marvin Gaye)
Movie Quote Wedding Ring Engraving Ideas
Movie quotes can range from sweet and tender, to something that you two will always laugh at.
- So this is love (Cinderella)
- As you wish (The Princess Bride)
- A whole new world (Aladdin)
- To infinity and beyond (Toy Story)
- May the force be with you/us (Star Wars)
- Do or do not, there is no try (Star Wars)
- One ring to rule them all (Lord of the Rings)
- One does not simply get married (Lord of the Rings – yes, this isn’t the exact quote)
- Some people are worth melting for (Frozen)
- I love you, you complete me (Jerry Maguire)
- I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her (Notting Hill)
- To me, you are perfect (Love, Actually)
- I wish I had done everything on earth with you (The Great Gatsby)
Important Date or Location or Initials Wedding Ring Engraving Ideas
Some common important dates to consider:
- The day of your marriage
- The day you met
- The day of your first kiss
- Day your spouse was born
You can do it for any of the above-listed things or another special place to you and your spouse.
People often engrave locations on a ring by getting the exact coordinates of the location.
You can do either the initials of your spouse, or even the cute old fashioned way: Name + Name.
Two-Part Wedding Ring Engraving Ideas
These are engravings to split between the two rings – so you both have a part of the inscription!
- To have – to hold
- Peanut butter – Jelly
- Ben – Jerry
- Tom – Jerry
- I love you – I know
- Little spoon – Big spoon
- Batman – Robin
- Bonnie – Clyde
- To infinity – And beyond
- Adam – Eve
- Cinnamon – Sugar
- Bow – Arrow
- Fire – Ice
- Chip – Dale
- Double – Trouble
- Lucy – Ethel
- Romeo – Juliet
- Salt – Pepper
- Scooby – Shaggy
- Sweet – Sour
- Thunder – Lightning
- Yin – Yang
- Zig – Zag
- Bee’s knees – Cat’s pajamas
How Much Does it Cost for Engraving Wedding Bands
Wedding ring engraving is rather affordable, and the cost typically runs from about $25 to $100 per ring.
Some factors that will influence the cost are the number of figures being engraved, and the method of engraving.
When is The Best Time to Engrave Wedding Bands
First of all, take time to pick out your inscription. You want to make sure the engraving has meaning, so don’t rush into anything.
Also, you are under a lot of pressure before your wedding, so it’s probably a good idea to wait to engrave your rings until after all the big wedding decisions are done and the event is over.
This will give you more time to think over what you want it to be without the weight of other things on your mind.
Where to Get Your Wedding Bands Engraved
You can get your wedding bands engraved at pretty much any jewelry store. Independent jewelers should also be able to help you, or point you to a good location if you need help finding one.