Glowing rings are becoming more popular as people are noticing how fun and unique they are.
But what are glowing rings, and what are some of the best glowing rings out there?
Glowing rings are rings that glow due to the materials they are made of. They come in a variety of colors and patterns. Glowing rings are made out of materials that collect UV light. Glow rings typically glow for 1-2 hours after being charged. These rings last for more than 10 years.
Now that you know a little bit about glowing rings, you may be wondering how you charge them and how much they typically cost.
High-quality glowing rings can be a fun and unique piece of jewelry to try out.
What Are Glow Rings?
Glow rings are rings that have materials that make them glow when they are exposed to light.
They typically come in neon colors, like blue and green.
Neon colors glow brightly, which makes the rings look more impressive and appealing.
However, many glow rings are sold in non-neon colors, which is good if you want to purchase a ring that glows but do not like wearing extremely flashy colors.
Glowing rings are typically made out of resin or carbon fiber.
Some companies that make glow rings claim that the ingredient that makes the ring glow is a phosphorus powder that is formulated to glow in the color that it is dyed.
What Are Some Other Common Names for Glow Rings?
The name of a glowing ring changes from company to company, but many have a variation of the word “glow” in the name of the ring.
Glow band, GLO Rings, and Glowstone Rings are some popular names for glowing rings.
The name that a company gives a ring also varies depending on the color that the ring glows, the materials that the rings are made out of, and what type of ring it is.
If a ring is meant to be a wedding band and it glows, the company may call it “glowing wedding band, Men/Women,” for example.
How Long Do Glow Rings Last?
The glowing capabilities of a ring can last more than 20 years, depending on the quality of the ring and how long the chemicals that make it glow are made to last.
Obviously, if you win a plastic glow ring from an arcade, it probably won’t last as long as one that came from a jeweler.
Some rings only glow for 10 years, while others last 20 years or more.
If you want to know how long the ring is meant to last, look at a company’s website on their “Frequently Asked Questions” or their “About” pages.
You can also look at the reviews for the product that you want to purchase and see how long each ring lasted for people who have purchased it in the past.
Luckily, you will still be able to wear the ring after it stops glowing.
However, they may not look as good, so after that point in time, you may want to get a new glow ring or just move on to an entirely new style.
However, you should not have to completely replace it for 10 years or so, depending on the ring.
Glow rings are typically made of very strong materials, especially because they need the chemicals that make the ring glow to stay inside of the ring, just in case they have the capability of hurting the wearer if they leak out escape.
Do You Need to Charge Glow Rings?
Glow rings need to be charged every few hours in order to keep glowing.
If the ring needs to be charged, then the glow of the ring will be very dull and almost unnoticeable.
Luckily, it is very easy to recharge glow rings.
For many glow rings, simply hold the ring up to artificial light for one minute or less, depending on how much the ring needs to charge.
When you remove it from the light, it will glow very intensely for a few minutes, then dim slightly.
The glow from that 1-minute charge should last for at least 1-2 hours, maybe more.
Some rings need to be recharged but glow for a longer period of time even when they have only been charged for a few seconds.
The amount of time that a ring glows with each charge will vary depending on the company that made the ring, the quality of the ring, and the color that the ring glows.
Neon-colored rings will likely glow for a longer period of time than non-neon rings.
It is very easy to charge glow rings. Simply hold them up to any artificial light or point a light at the ring for about a minute, then remove and wear them.
You can also charge them with sunlight by leaving them in a sunny window, but you will likely have to turn the rings periodically so that the entire ring can charge evenly.
If you do not turn the ring while it is charging in the sunlight, then it will glow unevenly and look slightly odd.
But why should you turn the ring when you are charging it in sunlight, and why wouldn’t you turn the ring while it is charging in artificial light?
You should turn your ring while it is charging in sunlight because the sun’s rays will only hit some parts of the ring at a time, so the ring will be charged and glow unevenly.
When you charge your ring with artificial light, you are exposing nearly every part of the ring to the light at the same time, which means it will charge evenly even if you do not turn it, unlike when you charge the ring in sunlight.
However, both light sources will charge your glow ring and allow you to enjoy looking at the glow it produces.
Why Did My Glow Ring Stop Glowing?
The simplest reason why your glow ring has stopped glowing is that it needs to be recharged.
If you have not charged your ring and it has stopped glowing after a few hours, try exposing it to a light source, and it should begin to glow again.
Another reason why your ring may have stopped glowing is because of its age.
If your glow ring is 10 years or older, then your ring may be worn out, and the chemicals that make the ring glow may have stopped reacting to each other.
If your ring has stopped glowing before it is 10 years old, and you have tried to charge it with no results, contact the company that made your ring.
If they have a warranty that you have not exceeded, then they may replace it for you or offer to try and fix it.
Another reason why your ring has stopped glowing is that it may be broken.
If you have recently dropped or hit your ring on a very hard surface, then you may have broken your ring.
If your ring is broken, it may stop glowing.
Try to charge it, and if it does not begin to glow again, then throw it away or contact the manufacturer.
Buying Guide Tips
It is very easy to find quality glow rings, as long as you know what to look for.
When you are looking for a glow ring to purchase, look at the materials that the rings are made out of, the color of the ring, and the customer reviews.
Most glow rings are made out of resin or carbon fiber. They are both very durable materials, but glow rings can be made from other materials as well.
When you are looking for a glow ring to purchase, make sure that they are made out of durable materials.
If your glow ring breaks, then it will likely stop glowing and it may leak dangerous materials.
When you are looking for a glowing ring to purchase, look at the color of each ring.
Understand that the color of the glow ring may not be as vibrant in person as it is online, as the photographs taken have likely been edited, and the photographer had access to many bright lights to make the ring look brighter and more vibrant.
Before you purchase a glowing ring, look at the reviews of the product.
See what consumers have said about how long the glow lasts on each charge, how sturdy the ring is, the color of the glow, how comfortable the ring is, and how long the ring lasts.
The consumer reviews will give you an idea of the quality of the ring and whether or not it is worth purchasing.
How to Care for Glow Rings
Glow rings are very easy to care for.
When your glow ring gets dirty, simply wipe it with a cloth and a mild soap.
After it has been cleaned, allow it to air dry. You can even allow it to air dry in sunlight so it can charge while it dries.
After your glow ring is dry and charged, it is ready to wear again.
To keep your ring in tip-top shape, avoid wearing it in extreme temperatures.
If you wear it in extremely high heat, then the inlay of the ring that makes it glow may break, which will cause your ring to stop glowing altogether.
Also, avoid wearing it while you are working with acidic chemicals, like Acetone, as the chemicals can corrode the glowing inlay away.
If your ring seems to have become dull, use a jewelry polishing wipe on it, and your ring will shine brightly once again after it has been charged.
Cost of Glow Rings
Unfortunately, quality glow rings are very expensive.
Glow rings range in price from $11 to $450. Luckily, you can find cheap glow rings in stores like Walmart and Shein.
Shein has rings that glow for around $2, although they do not glow for very long and are very cheaply made.
If you want to get a quality glow ring that will last for a long time and will glow vibrantly, you will have to spend a lot of money.
Many glow rings are handmade, and the materials that make the rings glow are hard to incorporate into the materials that the rings are made out of in a visually appealing way.
Pros & Cons of Glow Rings
Pros of Glow Rings
- One pro to glow rings is that they are really cool. The bright and vibrant colors that they emit are very visually appealing, and are definitely a conversation starter, especially if you go to an event that has black lights.
- Glow rings come in a variety of thicknesses, colors, and sizes, so anyone can purchase one that appeals to them.
- Glow rings can have designs and engravings on them, which can make them very personal. The designs can also add to the cool factor of the ring.
- Glow rings are available at a wide range of prices, so everyone can find a glowing ring that fits in with their budget. These rings don’t have to be expensive, although the quality ones usually are.
- The glow rings do not take a long time to charge. Just hold the ring up to a light source for a minute, and it will glow for hours. And it will charge while you are outside in the sun, which means you can wear it for a longer period of time before recharging it.
- Glow rings are very easy to care for. Simply wash it when it gets dirty and polish it when it becomes dull.
- Most glow rings are very durable and are made out of quality materials, which means they will last for a long time and not break. Most glow rings are scratch-resistant, which means that they won’t scratch easily.
Cons of Glow Rings
- One con to glow rings is that they are very hard to hide and easily noticeable in the dark. Because they can easily be seen in the dark and almost constantly glow, they can become distracting, especially if you wear them around children.
- Glow rings can be very expensive, especially quality ones. Glow rings can cost upwards of $450, especially if you customize them.
- Glow rings are rings, which means they will likely get scratched even though many are scratch-resistant. When they get scratched, the scratches will be very apparent and affect the look of the ring, which may cause it to look dingy and damaged, even if it is clean and only has a few scratches on it.
- The glow might not be as distinct as you expect, even if it’s a high-quality ring. You’ll need to make sure you know what to expect when you buy one of these rings.
- One con to glow rings is that the glow only lasts for a certain amount of time before it needs to be recharged. This means that even if you do have a glow ring, it will not always glow.